Life Kids will resume on September 27, 2020, it will not look like we are used to but we are making adjustments and coming up with fun ways to come together as a community. In the mean time join us for online Mass, please register, and keep an eye out for emails regarding our first day!
Life Kids Re-Imagined
We have been given a unique opportunity to re-imagine Life Kids this year. Though Life Kids will not look the same, the goal remains the same, to build a Christ Centered community for the children and their families. We are committed to encouraging the children of Resurrection to love God with all their heart, mind and soul as well as accompany parents in your continued faith journey.
This year’s focus for all of Faith Formation will be the Sunday Gospels. The children will receive their own Gospel Weekly that is age appropriate in which they can follow along at home and work along side their parents.
Our Life Kids Re-Imagined will have some similar components as well as new ones. Here is our plan for the first month:
- Sunday, September 27th: Life Kids/Faith Formation Kick Off! Parent meetings via Zoom at 9am (make sure you’re registered to receive the link), Mass online at 11am, Gathering in the parking lot at 12pm. Everyone will be spread out and safely distanced, you will receive a packet with information and activities for each of the Sunday Gospels for October, and a few surprises!
- Sunday, October 4th: Our Life Kids Coordinator, Mayra, will be available on Zoom from 9-9:30am to check in with. You can ask her any questions or just say hello! Use the materials in your pack to explore the Sunday Gospel as a family.
- Sunday, October 11th: Use the materials in your pack to explore the Sunday Gospel as a family.
- Sunday, October 18th and Sunday, October 25th: Families will have the opportunity to sign up for ONE of these weekends for some in person (safely distanced) Family Catechesis in the parish hall. On the Sunday you don’t attend, use the materials in your pack to explore the Sunday Gospel as a family.
We will be taking things on a month by month basis and following guidelines to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Christmas Pageant – we are hoping to present the Christmas Pageant this year in a safe format. We are still working out the details on how to make it happen. It is so important for the children to learn Christmas carols as well the Nativity Story, we want to continue with this.
- SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION (First Communion prep): Due to the unusual circumstances, we will be postponing Reconciliation (Confession) and will NOT be offering it the 2020-2021 school year. We believe the children will benefit more from the sacrament when they are able to comfortably sit across a priest without a mask. The children will still be able to prepare for the Sacrament of First Communion.
- The preparation for the sacrament of the Eucharist will start in February of 2021.
- Parents will be the main teacher of the sacrament for their child. When we baptize our children, we make a promise to be the child’s first teacher and example of the faith. This will allow parents more opportunities to share their own faith with their child, allowing the Holy Spirit to open great conversations.
- Parents, you won’t be alone! We will have monthly check-ins staring at the end of January. We will come together to talk about the topics for the coming weeks, review, discuss and answer any questions you may have before you sit down with your child. You are always welcomed to reach out to Mayra Mendoza email@example.com for additional questions or concerns.
Please know that we are praying for you and we are here for you. All of our staff is available by email- don’t hesitate to reach out if there is anything we can do. Be safe, take care of yourselves, and may God bless you!
Livestream Mass with Fr. Bill
Family Faith Sharing
Domestic Churches in Quarantine– Archdiocesan resources on family life, marriage, keeping Sunday holy, prayer ideas and more.
FORMED– Catholic movies, books, podcasts and other resources. FORMED is normally available through a monthly subscription, but is offering its services FREE for 40 days. App available for iOS and Android.
Sunday Gospel Activities- Each week in Life Kids, we dig deeper into the weekly Gospel using Loyola Press’ Sunday Connection. You can find these same materials here. We recommend using the “Family” tab to find inspiration for activities to do all together each week, but feel free to explore! Select the current week, then click the appropriate tab.
Life Kids General Information
Life Kids is our Children’s Faith Formation Ministry for children ages preschool (age 3 and up) through 5th grade. Our goal is to bring kids closer to Jesus Christ and pass on our Catholic faith in relational, small faith sharing communities within each age group. Join us at any time throughout the school year.
Life Kids also includes preparation for First Communion in 2nd grade which will take place in May. If your child is older than 2nd grade but would like to receive these sacraments, we are happy to make alternate arrangements for you. Similarly, if your child has not been baptized yet, we would love to help you do so.
Contact Mayra Mendoza, Children’s Faith Formation Coordinator at (503) 638-1579 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adult Volunteer Opportunities: Join Our Team!
When adult leaders are committed to developing personal connections with the children in their classes, children build a relationship of trust with these adults that facilitates a rich environment for learning and for faith discussion. This creates a sense of community within each class, which is so valuable to all of our faith journeys. This “mini community” is unique from all other groups such as sports teams, schoolmates, etc., because these kids will grow in their faith together and establish a sense of stability in a parish they can always call their home. Our goal for Life Kids is to build core teams of 3-4 adults for each class allowing us to accomplish the following:
- More flexibility for catechists who can’t come every session.
- Children building relationships of trust with catechists and peers
- More parents sharing the faith with their kids
- Adults learning each child’s name and face and personally acknowledging them.
- Team members growing in relationship as a team and as a small faith group
- Ability to share ideas and share responsibilities
- Larger pool of subs, making sure classes are “covered” each session
We would love some extra help in and out of the classroom. Please contact Mayra to see if there are any current needs and for volunteer requirements. Thank you!