The Parish Council is a group of parishioners that work together with Father Bill to do pastoral planning for Resurrection Catholic Parish. Pastoral planning is a prayerful and collaborative process that centers on turning our parish visions into reality.
The Parish Council meets once a month (third Wednesdays) to discuss the pastoral needs of the parish community and communicate those needs to Father Bill. He, in turn, shares his vision for the parish, asks for input and describes the many ways our parish community can support and participate in our shared calling as true disciples of Jesus Christ.
Most meetings include updates on our many Resurrection ministries (on at least one ministry each Council member is also a member), news from our preschool/kindergarten, regular updates on finances from our Finance Committee liaison, opportunities for various volunteer and philanthropic activities and thoughtful responses to parishioner-raised issues and questions. We are continually guided by the Holy Spirit as we discuss these topics. All opinions are valued and respected. Parish Council recommendations are made only after reaching a broad consensus with much prayerful deliberation.
The Parish Council currently meets in the Moisant Center on the third Wednesday of each month, from 7:00 to 8:30 pm. Our meetings are open to all parishioners and we welcome those who feel a calling to become members of this important ministry.
Contact Molly Hoeflich, Parish Council Chairperson, at 503-655-4247.
Your 2018-19 Parish Council:
Joe Amato: 503-781-9689
Linda and Ken Beko: Beko741@gmail.com
Don Dravis: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Hjelte: 503.530.0774
Irene Jones: email@example.com
Sherry Miller: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Schneideman: email@example.com
Paula Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org
In Memorial: Donna Waller
Parish Council roles and responsibilities
As Parish leaders, we have been entrusted with the responsibility and care for the parish. We are stewards and caretakers, not governors or legislators.
(From St. Michael’s Parish brochure-2013)
The purpose of the Parish Council is to collaborate with the pastor to do Parish planning for the parish. Members are recruited from the parish community with a goal of providing a good mix of personal and professional capabilities and the benefit of different perspectives and disciplines. The Parish council will have a chairperson, vice chairperson and secretary. The council meets once per month on the third Wednesday from 7 pm to 9 pm (changes to be mutually agreed upon by membership.)
- Prepare for, attend and participate in all Parish Council meetings. Allowances made for absences of one to three per year by informing the council chairperson.
- Serve a three-year term beginning in July. May serve longer but no longer than five years in order to broaden participation and provide fresh perspectives.
- Work as a team member to discern and support the parish’s mission, vision and direction in collaboration with the pastor.
- Be present within the parish: attend parish functions, be accessible to parishioners, listen to needs of the parish and promote/articulate the parish’s mission, values, goals and accomplishments.
- Support the pastor and staff-giving them the spiritual, moral and professional support they need to further the goals of the parish.
- Assist with Council short-term sub-committees and functions as needed.
- Provide input and review issues with an open mind and heart.
- Assist in the formation and training of the new members.
- Follow conflict of interest and confidentiality practices.
- Actively participate in at least one parish ministry or committee.
- Assist the Finance committee in reviewing the parish financial budget and contribute to the parish’s annual report (Parish Council reviews, but does not ratify the parish budget).
- Baptized and in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- Registered member of Resurrection Catholic Parish.
- Make an annual, meaningful contribution to the parish.
- Have an understanding of and commitment to the Church in accord with the principles of Vatican II.
- Dedicated to prayer, study, listening and dialogue.
- Ability to work on a team.
- Problem solve and offer suggestions to reach solutions.
- Respect the input of others.
- Commit to giving the time needed for participation.
Annual Activities: Welcome Dinner (Aug), Retreat (Sept), Recruit (Feb – Apr), Plan Year (May)
Yearly leadership training and orientation provided by the parish at the Parish Council retreat and as needed.
- Read documents:
- Parish Pastoral Councils: Policies and Commentary (Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon, 2009)
- Stewardship A Disciple’s Response: A Pastoral Letter on Stewardship (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops)
- Support for Parish Council members seeking advice or assistance is provided by the Council chair(s), the pastor and pastoral assistant.
- Chair: Send advance meeting notices, seek input & set agenda, lead meeting, encourage open & broad participation, track action items & completions, complete annual calendar
- Vice Chair: Take lead in communicating council activities thru website, bulleting & other means; Assist Chair in completing mutually assigned portions of the above, handle responsibilities in case of Chair
- Librarian: Maintain the latest official copies of key reference documents, both electronically and posted paper, for ready access by the PC members and any interested parishioner.
- Special: All members will support the group by volunteering to handle minutes or other roles for the good of the group.
The Parish Council works toward the continuing journey of becoming a Stewardship parish. We embrace and promote being a Christian Steward: One who receives God’s gifts gratefully, cherishes and tends them in a responsible and accountable manner, shares them in justice and love with all, and returns them with increase to the Lord. (Stewardship, USCOCB p. 48)